In my personal life I am trying to live in the moment, but when it comes to succession management projects the opposite is true. Just like Steven Covey says, "starting with the end in mind" is the way to go.
If you want to set your successor up for success, here are six points which will help you do it. Ask yourself:
- What is the company's long term vision? What do we want to achieve?
- Of all of our strategic priorities, which are the ones that will contribute the most to our success?"
- What strengths and capabilities do we need in our leaders if we are going to make this vision happen?
- Who internally has the talent we are looking for?
- Who externally may be a viable contender?
- Do we think the people we have identified are interested in the role?
- What can we do to build or hire this capability over time?